Insight Managed WiFi 6 AX5400 Dual-band Access Point with Multi-Gig PoE
Sorry, this product is no longer available, please contact us for a replacement.
High Performance WiFi 6 Access Points for the Commercial and Residential Integrators
The WAX628 is a high performance WiFi 6 access point, ideal for small and medium sized businesses. The access point is a dual band design delivering up to 5.4Gbps total WiFi throughput, supported by two Ethernet ports, a 2.5Gbps Power-overEthernet port, and a 1Gbps Ethernet port.
The WAX628 supports the next generation WiFi 6 smart phones, IoT devices, and notebook computers, delivering up to 40% more throughput to each individual device in the 5GHz band and 100% more throughput in the 2.4GHz band, compared to the previous generation equivalent model; provides 4x the client device connection, allowing businesses to serve more customers with better speed and less congestion.
The WAX628 is ideal in high density client device environments such as schools, hotels, restaurants and conference centers, and provides enterprise grade WiFi network security. With Insight management, WAX628 works seamlessly with your current NETGEAR Insight managed switches, WiFi access points and network storage, and is compatible with previous generation WiFi devices (WiFi 5 802.11ac for example) and WiFi access points.
Enjoy a 4-year Insight subscription plus 4 years of ProSUPPORT, a 24/7 live expert technical support by phone, chat and email.
In the past several years, the WiFi industry has made progress in increasing speeds by leaps and bounds. However, capacity continues to be a challenge, namely, supporting a large number of concurrent users. This requirement is particularly acute for businesses, where very high throughput to each individual device may not be the paramount requirement. Rather, it is providing network connectivity to a large number of client devices, with good throughput, stable connection, and robust responses to environmental changes that is most important.
With the updated WiFi 6 (802.11ax) technology such as OFDMA, upstream and downstream MU-MIMO, and increased speeds, coverage, and capacity, you can feel confident that you’re getting the highest performance WiFi that’s set for years to come! Plus the assurance that you can now add more connected devices on your business WiFi network without any slowdowns or blind spots.
The WAX628, a WiFi 6 business access point, combined with Insight, helps small and medium businesses with an easy way to manage their network without an IT expert, providing great WiFi connection leaving each of their customers satisfied as a network user. NETGEAR empowers businesses with an all new WiFi 6 business access point for high performance and high coverage for the years to come. The WAX628 is compatible with other Pro WiFi Insight managed access points to form a scalable wireless network.
High-end performance and unbeatable security for WiFi integration projects
- Business class WiFi based on next generation 802.11ax WiFi 6 technology on both 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands. (Backward compatible to 802.11b/g/ n/a/ac)
- Dual-band 2x2 (2.4GHz and 5GHz) 4 streams of data for an aggregate throughput of up to 5.4Gbps
- Instant WiFi Mesh forming wireless backhaul with other Pro WiFi (Insight managed) access points to form a WiFi mesh network
- 4 times more client device supported
- Enterprise security and Enhanced Open security, such as WAP3, WPA Enterprise, 8x SSID and VLAN
- Basic Service Set Coloring (BSS Coloring) enabling significant improvement in radio frequency channel effeciency and reduction of interference
- Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiple Access (OFDMA) allowing simultaneous services to multiple devices in the same channel thus improving bandwidth efficiency and reducing latency
- 2.5GbE port, backward compatible with 100/1000Mbps Ethernet, supported by NETGEAR GSM4210P, MS510TXPP and other multi-gig Ethernet switches
- One additional 1GbE port for network redundancy or link aggregation to enhance reliability or throughput
- Target Wake Time (TWT) allows more efficient power usage resulting in longer battery life in WiFi 6 client devices • Beamforming+; Advanced 6th generation WiFi technology such as up and downstream MU-MIMO
- One 802.3at 2.5Gbps PoE port. Remote management and monitoring from NETGEAR Insight app or Cloud portal for unrivaled management experience of your wireless network.
- App managed. Faster installation through NETGEAR Insight app or Cloud portal. No additional hardware needed.
- Market leading 5-year warranty for peace of mind
- 4-year Insight subscription
- 4-year ProSUPPORT
Remote monitoring and management with NETGEAR Insight
- 4-Year Insight Premium or Insight Pro Subscription included
- Instant discovery & set-up
- Local and Cloud monitoring and management through the Insight app or Cloud Portal
- Remote access and multi-device configuration
- No additional Cloud controller, appliance, network manager, or PC/server is necessary
- QR code intial configuaration for instant installation
A Powerful WiFi Solution
- Ultimate speed and capacity with WiFi 6
- Enterprise level security with WPA3 and 8 separate wireless networks (SSIDs)
- High speed and easy wiring with a 2.5GbE port with PoE
- Mesh capabilities for seamless roaming and highly scalable coverage areas
- Monitor and manage your network from anywhere with NETGEAR Insight, a user-friendly cloud monitoring and management cloud portal and app
Behind every smart home is a network genius
Discover new ways to bring professional-grade technology to your residential installations
Simply Better Together
Combine your WiFi Access Points with a Multi-Gig Switch to optimize your network for power and speed.
NETGEAR Insight Remote Management
Manage locally or remotely through the Cloud for simple yet powerful control of your network anytime, anywhere. A 4-year subscription is included.
WAX618 Deployment Scenario
WiFi 6 for business and home office
NETGEAR has been at the forefront of innovation and cutting-edge solution for more than 20 years, providing innovative and ground-breaking network solutions which include a suite of advanced WiFi 6 products – giving you access to the most advanced WiFi on the planet.
WiFi 6 overcomes these challenges
- Coverage and range, especially through walls in blind spots
- Need for faster and easier set up
- Network and per device speed, especially with more devices
- Demand for security and access control
- Need for smooth configuration and firmware updates
WiFi 6 for Business
Why are businesses adopting WiFi 6?
- Best WiFi Speed – 70% more throughput than WiFi 5
- Connect More Devices - optimized speed even in high density areas
- Improved Coverage
- Battery Efficiency
- Seamless Roaming
- Faster Backbone with 2.5G - Multi-gig networking and connectivity
- High Density IoT
- Safer Networks
Remote WiFi 6 Management
Most NETGEAR WiFi 6 business access points include NETGEAR Insight, the award-winning remote cloud management solution for easy installation, monitoring, and management from anywhere.
NETGEAR Insight is an industry first in network management, providing easy plug-and-play setup and management. Its cloud portal can be accessed via an intuitive web interface or the Insight mobile app. Insight offers a wide variety of configuration options for the most basic networks to multi-tenancy and multi-roles.
NETGEAR Insight enables easy configuration, monitoring, and management of your wireless access points together with Insight-managed switches and storage. Wireless management features include: Instant WiFi for automatic wireless configuration to limit interferences, frequency band selection, VLAN creation and association with SSID, WiFi security configuration, visibility into WiFi clients, reporting, and many more.
Who is upgrading to WiFi 6?
- Sharing a WiFi connection with the rest of the family as people are working from home, video calling or downloading large files can slow everyone down. WiFi 6 is optimized for concurrent users.
- As medicine moves toward more innovative technologies for imaging, record storage, and telehealth, it requires more bandwidth. Upgrading to WiFi 6 helps ease high demand and provide efficiency.
- Older, legacy WiFi systems have slow bandwidth lack device capacity and less secure connections. WiFi 6 can meet growing demand for connectivity across all the technology and devices the industry depends on.
- As wireless handheld Point of Sale devices increase in use so does the need for suffcinet bandwidth and total site coverage. WiFi 6 can meet those growing demands.
- Libraries, city halls, police offices and the public sector in general are becoming more technologically advanced and reliant on WiFi and need the bandwidth capacity and efficiency it offers.
- The increase in video streaming, online with WiFi 6 greatly improve student’s and teacher’s educational experiences.
- From AI assembly line robots to autonomous delivery trucks, most or all new machinery and loT will require high bandwidth and capacity.
- Finance companies need high bandwidth and zero-delay streaming to meet the needs of daily stock market traders and demanding finance apps. WiFi 6 can keep up with these demand.
- Houses of worship need great network conncetivity to make sure everything runs smoothly for the team and improve the congregation’s experince. Reliability, simplicity and affordability are high priorities. WiFi 6 checks all those boxes.
The WiFi 6 Difference
Increased speed, coverage, and capacity for today’s WiFi demands
Up to 70% faster speeds on both bands
Up to 50% more coverage, with no dead zones
- Device Capacity
More simultaneous users, with high WiFi quality for everyone
|WiFi Standards||5GHz: 802.11a/n/ac/ax
|Wireless Mode (Transmit x Receive)||2x2 in 5.0GHz
2x2 in 2.4GHz
|4x4 in 5.0GHz
2x2 in 2.4GHz
|2x2 in 6.0GHz
4x4 in 5.0GHz
2x2 in 2.4GHz
|OFDM/OFDMA||OFDM and OFDMA||OFDM and OFDMA||OFDM and OFDMA|
|Multi-User MIMO||Bi-dir MU-MIMO||Bi-dir MU-MIMO||Bi-dir MU-MIMO|
|Target Wake Time (TWT)||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Maximum Theoretical Throughput||AX3000 3Gbps||AX5400 5.4Gbps||AXE7800 7.8Gbps|
|Maximum Theoretical Throughput per Band||5.0GHz: 2400Mbps
|Antenna Gain||Internal 2.9/2.8dBi
|Internal 2.5/3.0 dBi
|Internal 4.4/6.3/3.1 dBi
|Power over Ethernet (PoE)||802.3at/af||8802.3at/af||802.3bt/at|
|Coverage||2,500 sq.ft. (230m2)||3,000 sq.ft. (275m2)||3,000 sq.ft. (275m2)|
|PoE Power Consumption||21.2W||21.2W||27.64W|
|Centralized Management||Insight App||Insight App||Insight App|
|Secure Socket Layer (SSL)||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Wireless Distribution System (WDS)|
|Simultaneous Bridge and Wireless Client Association||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|WiFi Protected Access (WPA/WPA2/WPA3), 802.11i||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|MAC address filtering with access control||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|802.1x RADIUS support with EAP TLS, TTLS, PEAP||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Neighbor AP detection||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Block SSID Broadcast||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Guest Network/Captive Portal||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Link Layer Discovery Protocol||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Instant WiFi Mesh|
|Wireless backhaul to form Mesh Network||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|IEEE 802.11ax WiFi 6 standard||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|WMM Wireless Multimedia Prioritization||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|WDS Wireless Distribution System||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Power over Ethernet (PoE) IEEE 802.3af||Yes, approximately 60% of full throughput performance||Yes, approximately 60% of full throughput performance||No|
|Power over Ethernet (PoE) IEEE 802.3at||Yes||Yes||Yes, max throughput will reduce by 50% on 2.4GHz|
|Dimensions||9.5 x 9.5 x 1.58 in
(241.5 x 241.5 x 40.2 mm)
|9.49 x 9.43 x 2.02 in
(241.15 x 239.6 x 51.38 mm)
|10.49 x 10.56 x 2.18 in
(266.6 x 268.3 x 55.5 mm)
|Weight||727 g (1.6 lb)||819 g (1.80 lb)||1050 g (2.31 lb)|
|Operating temperature||0° to 40°C (32° to 104°F)||0° to 40°C (32° to 104°F)||0° to 40°C (32° to 104°F)|
|Interface||One 100/1000/2.5GBASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45) ports with Auto Uplink (Auto MDI-X) supporting IEEE 802.3af or 802.3at Power over Ethernet (PoE)||One 100/1000/2.5GBASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45) ports with Auto Uplink (Auto MDI-X) supporting IEEE 802.3af or 802.3at Power over Ethernet (PoE)
One 100/1000GBASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45) port
|One 100/1000/2.5G (IEEE 802.3at or 802.3bt doesn't support IEEE 802.3af) One 100/1000M Ethernet|
|Power adapter (not included)||112V DC, 2.5A; plug is localized to country of sale||12V DC, 2.5A; plug is localized to country of sale||12V DC, 3.5A; plug is localized to country of sale|
|LED||Four (4): Power and Cloud connection; LAN speed; 2.4GHz status; 5GHz status||Five (5): Power and Cloud connection; Two (2) LAN ports; 2.4GHz status; 5.0GHz status||One (1): Power and cloud connection;
Two (2): LAN ports;
Three (3): Radio (2.4GHz, 5GHz L, 5GHz H)
|WiFi Protected Access (WPA, WPA2, WPA3)||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|WPA2 and WPA3 Enterprise||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Wireless access control to identify authorized wireless network devices||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|MAC address authentication||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|NETGEAR Insight App||App Management for setup, monitoring and management|
|Wireless Distribution System (WDS)||Bridge mode: Point-to-point wireless
Bridge mode: Point-to-multipoint wireless
Adjustable Transmit Power Control (TPC)
Identify type of wireless clients in the network
|WAX618 Insight managed wireless access point
Wall/ceiling mount kit
|WAX628 Insight managed wireless access point
Wall/ceiling mount kit
|WAX638E Insight managed wireless access point
Wall/ceiling mount kit
|Warranty and Support|
|Hardware Limited Warranty||5 years||5 years||5 years|
|Next-Business-Day (NBD) Replacement||5 years||5 years||5 years|
|Technical support (online, phone)||90 days free from date of purchase*||90 days free from date of purchase*||90 days free from date of purchase*|
|ProSUPPORT OnCall 24x7 Service Packs**||PMB0312-10000S, 1 year
PMB0332-10000S, 3 years
PMB0352-10000S, 5 years
*This product comes with a limited warranty that is valid only if purchased from a NETGEAR authorized reseller, and covers unmodified hardware, fans and internal power supplies – not software or external power supplies, and requires product registration using the Insight mobile app or Insight Cloud portal within 90 days of purchase; see https://www.netgear.com/about/warranty for details. Intended for indoor use only.
**The NETGEAR OnCall 24x7 contract provides unlimited phone, chat and email technical support for your networking product.
Download the NETGEAR WAX628 Datasheet (PDF).
- Pricing and product availability subject to change without notice.